Prices and Financial Support
All students of the University of Cambridge, Anglia Ruskin University, the BPP Law School Cambridge and the Judge Business School are eligible for membership. If you go to another educational institution, you may join as an online member.
Membership is non-refundable.
- LIFE Membership - £175 until October 18th and £190 thereafter | Life Membership really is membership for LIFE! You are eligible to: enter the ballot for a free Freshers' Ball ticket (held in the Michaelmas term for those who have joined between July and 1st week of October); attend all the debates and Union hosted speaker events free of charge; watch the live stream of any of our events; attend debate workshops free of charge; represent the Union in debating competitions; get involved in the running of the Union and its events; take part in the social aspect of being a member and the networking opportunities that the Union has to offer; take advantage of member discounts, and more.
- ANNUAL Membership - £105 | Annual Membership offers membership for a year, but you are not eligible to vote in society elections or for a free ball ticket. During the year, you have the option to upgrade to lifetime membership by paying the difference. This opportunity expires at the end of your year. Annual members are NOT eligible for a freshers' ball ticket.
- DISCOUNTED Life 'Access'/Bursary Membership - £105 | This is Life Membership but discounted for those undergraduates in receipt of a full maintenance loan and in receipt of the Full Cambridge Bursary Scheme (currently £3,500 from Cambridge University) or a Start-Up Bursary (from Anglia Ruskin University). Access life members are eligible for all benefits of life membership including eligibility to join the ballot for a free Freshers' ball ticket (held in the Michaelmas term for those who have joined between July and the 1st week of October).
Please join as an annual member online (we do not refund) and bring a copy of your full maintenance loan award and or your Full Cambridge Bursary award letter with you when you collect your card to convert it to access membership. (If you think you may be eligible for access membership do not join as a Life member).
- VISITING Student Membership - £55/£90 | If you are a visiting student, keen to get involved in the Society for the time that you are at Cambridge, simply go to The Cambridge Union's Main Office (9A Bridge Street, CB2 1UB) in order to sign up for a one (£55) or two-term (£90) membership. You will need to bring proof of your status as a visiting student in order to take advantage of this.
- ONLINE Membership - £30 | is only available to students who are not eligible for the above categories. If you are a student at another University anywhere in the world, this is the membership for you.
If you have any questions please email the membership secretary at email@example.com.
For a full breakdown of what is available within each category of membership, please see the Constitution.
To purchase Access/Bursary Membership, sign up for the Annual Membership for £105 and bring evidence from Student Finance England that your household income has been assessed at £25, 000 or below and/or your letter confirming receipt of the Full Cambridge Bursary when you come to collect your card. We appreciate that you may not receive both these letters before the start of the Michaelmas term. If you cannot provide full evidence on the collection of your card, you will be given a card with an expiry date lasting 1 year, which can be upgraded to access life membership for a processing fee of £5 when you present evidence at a later stage. In the event that you are not eligible for access membership and you have attended the Freshers' Ball, a charge for your ticket will be incurred.